Thursday, November 21, 2013

Super-Team Family: Black Canary, Green Arrow, Man-Thing

It's Thursday and that means I get to plagiarize pay homage to one of Ross' custom DC/Marvel crossover covers from the Super-Team Family blog.  Below, Ross had depicted Black Canary and her lover, Green Arrow, running through the swamps from the burning touch of the Man-Thing.

Courtesy of Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues blog.
There is so much going on in this cover that I simply adore.  First there is Dinah partnered with her longtime beau/onetime hubby, Oliver Queen.  For the image of Dinah and Ollie, Ross sampled a page drawn by the incomparable Brian Bolland from the historic Justice League of America #200.  Bolland's style is pretty identifiable from his well known covers and interiors on Batman: The Killing Joke.  His work on this image, though, is less obviously Bolland.  In fact, at a glance I assumed this was from Neal Adams and/or Dick Giordano.

The next best part of the cover is the inclusion of Man-Thing.  Boy do I love me some Man-Thing!  I found an old dogeared copy of Giant-Size Man-Thing #4 when I was a kid, I don't think a day went by that I didn't go down to the basement and pull out my Giant-Size Man-Thing and have fun.  As soon as I got home from school I couldn't wait to get my hands on my Giant-Size Man-Thing.  I even scared some little girls by showing them my Giant-Size Man-Thing in the park.  Good times.

Lastly, I get a chuckle out of the tag "Burn in the Bayou".  It reminds me of the Creedence song "Born on the Bayou".

Check out Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues for many, many more DC/Marvel crossover covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment