Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Black Canary by Marcio Takara.

I've recently discovered the art of Marcio Takara due to his work on last year's The Flash Annual #1.  Doing a quick google image search of his work, I found this impressive piece collecting one hundred heroic characters from comics and video games.

After he drew the Adam West Batman in Bat-dance pose, none of the other characters mattered.
His character portraits are very stylish and "bright", and has a very Young Justice animated style.  His contribution to the Flash annual, which is only three pages, is a lot more straightforward: very simple panel construction and layout, which is different from the Francis Manapul style that makes The Flash one of the Top 5 best books of the New 52.
Seriously, Rob Liefeld, you couldn't even draw feet this simple?
Takara has also drawn issues from the New 52 Blue Beetle series, Mark Waid's Incorruptible and The Incredibles: Family Matters.  Dude has got some artistic chops and I wouldn't mind seeing him get more high profile work from DC or Marvel.  I certainly would have no problem with him drawing a Birds of Prey issue if the below image is any indication of how he'd depict Dinah.
When she takes her jacket off, her cup size increases by three.

3 comments:

  1. How'd you get that hi-res version of Dinah from the 100 tiny pictures picture? Is there a really high resolution version of the 100 tiny pictures thing somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember. I think I found that version online but I can't remember where and I can't find it with a google images search anywhere but this blog. It's possible I cropped it and resized it, but I can't remember how. I just tried to redo it and it didn't work. If I find out where/how I got it and can do it for other characters, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks! I've found some other upscaled pictures from the original but most appear to have been taken down unfortunately.

      Delete